Sunday, June 3, 2012

Making Citizen Kane 'Modern'

I suppose it's that time to write once again about why I haven't been writing.  Though in this instance I'd like to find some interesting twist besides posting pictures of David Niven riding a mini horse. As always I appreciate those who choose to stick it out and continue following. Being a monkey crashing together cymbals once every couple of months still puts me far behind those of you who are able to keep to an update schedule and maintain the sense of community which I so appreciate here. Honestly a lot has changed for me in the past year and whenever I come on here I feel a little Norma Desmond staring at images on a screen of which she is no longer a part, but I've made comebacks before and hope to make many more.

Last summer I moved across the country to pursue a graduate degree in film editing. For those who knock the practice (and there are reasons to knock it) all I can say is that in post I've found it to be a highly technical program as well as one with a focus on storytelling, and feel that I'll come away with tangible skills that will be useful. Most of the advice I've received on this point has been that it's a personal decision, and for me it has been the right one. Because of this I've had very little time to write or to watch films as I've been trying to make them on a small scale.

The background figure is a pretty accurate representation of how I usually look on set. 

One project I worked on this semester was trying to make a 'modern' Citizen Kane trailer as if it were coming out today. I thought it would be fun since the material seems so out of step with its time to begin with, so why not take that idea a little further? I've no idea how this will be received as I know viewpoints on this sort of exercise to be different among classic film denizens, but I enjoyed the challenge. Hopefully Orson Welles won't rise from his grave and hit me in the face with a french baguette, but it's hard to be sure.




Note: Sounds best with headphones to get the bass. This was made for educational purposes only, therefore no copyright infringement is intended.

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks pretty cool! I didn't think the music matched quite right maybe, but the way you cut the scenes and used the dialogue without picture (what's that called again?) made it seem really current. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the use of Arcade Fire's Wake Up and I think you really captured the cinematic essence of the film.
    But feel like it could've been shorter, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret! I do get to work on some pretty nifty stuff which I love. It's a song I wanted to use because I think the lyrics work really well with the themes in CK (our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up, etc) but it can definitely be problematic/clashy to choose songs with lyrics over dialogue in trailers which I tried to contend with but is not the greatest idea in general. haha.

    Mariana-Since it was a class project the parameters were that it had to be between 2min and 2:30, but since I went more with a thematic approach vs. narrative I totally agree with you, so point well taken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like whаt уou guуs aгe up tοo.

    Such clеѵеr work аnd rерortіng!
    Keep up the fаntastic works guуs I've incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

    Feel free to surf to my blog :: arjun kanuri

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impresѕivе ѕhaге!

    Ι haνe just forωarded thiѕ onto а co-worκeг
    whο had been conducting a little homeωoгk on this.
    And hе in fаct bought me bгeakfаst bесause I stumbleԁ upоn it for him.

    .. lol. Sо lеt me reword this.
    ... Тhanκ YΟU foг the meal!!
    But yeah, thanks for ѕрending time to talk about thiѕ subjeсt herе on your web sіte.


    my ρage :: Link Building Service

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm аѕsuming havіng a
    blog like yours ωould coѕt a prеtty ρenny?

    I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any recommendatiοns or aԁvіce woulԁ be greatly
    арpreciated. Mаny thаnkѕ

    Feel freе to suгf to my web pagе; lloyd irvin

    ReplyDelete