In terms of content this blog can be broken down as follows.
- Reviews of films old and new, but mostly old. Since this is primarily a classic film blog most films highlighted will be pre-1970 but I'd like to throw in more current offerings as well. To be a rogue time traveler is not to get stuck in any one space.
- Pieces highlighting personal experiences relatable to classic film, whether this be an event, a location, or a chance encounter with a shadowy stranger. Except that last option actually sounds terrifying. Scratch that.
- Editor's Spotlight: Posts focused on the contributions of a named editor, the importance of editing to a specific film or more microscopic shot breakdowns/scene analysis that also takes into account how editing functions in respect to all other aspects of a production.
- Other Topics. This could be anything really but some areas of film I'm especially interested in are star studies, new media uses of classic film, home front propaganda pictures of WWII, and a non-auteurist approach to cinema as a way to bring other contributors into the mix.
- One Wild Card post a month on any topic unrelated to film for a little flavor.
This list is by no means all inclusive. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Except that line has never made much sense to me because you do know. You're going to untie that perfect bow and get some form of chocolate, or run screaming back to the overpriced store where you bought it and demand what you paid for. I guess 'you never know what kind you're gonna get' doesn't sound as quotable. And what if the box specifically says all milk chocolate? Whatever, Forrest Gump. Whatever. We're done.
To come to the point this is a film blog. Therefore, a reader can and should expect film related topics. Even the spam is custom tailored. Who knew Bette Davis loved... well I'll stop there.
The url for this site Vote For Gracie is so named because one of my favorite historical quirks is comedienne Gracie Allen's mock Presidential Campaign of 1940 (♫Those big politicians don't know what to do/Gracie doesn't know either/But neither do you!). Because I like to make life confusing the actual name for this blog is Or Maybe Eisenstein Should Just Relax which I wish I was brilliant enough to think up myself but is actually from a Jack Johnson song called Inaudible Melodies.
I decided on this title for a number of reasons. For one my personal background is a mix of theory and production. I have a B.A. in film studies and will be pursuing an MFA starting in the fall with a focus in film editing. I'll never be Eisenstein, of course, but I love that he played both ends of the field, creating new art (and a new method of editing) while also contributing to written work on the subject. With a lot of luck and work this is what I hope to do as well.
Editor/montage joke aside the relax part is also important because I hope this blog is fun to read. This isn't Cinema Journal, I'm not James Agee (though a girl can dream), and when the main reason people find this site is a search for pictures of Thelma Todd's dead body I really can't take myself too seriously. My plan is to aim somewhere more squarely between fandom and film analysis, combining critical enquiry with readability. Meat and potatoes with some whipped cream on top. Though hopefully not as disgusting as that sounds.
So out with some of the old, in with a few things that are new. Here is your chance to run like hell while you still can. In stuffing and shaping the past I sometimes get confused, and who knows what you might find down in the fruit cellar....
EDIT Since writing this post the name of this blog has been changed to Movie Montage.