Friday, August 12, 2011

My Life as a Greer Garsonologist (Extra! Extra! Read All About It!)

By Yours Truly (Not Johnny Dollar)

Some exciting news for this little blog o'mine that its ramshackle authoress is in Issue 73 of Bright Lights Film Journal. It is a long term goal of mine to keep up with and diversify my writing, and this is the first time I've submitted a film piece to any publication, online or otherwise, so I'm thrilled that Gary Morris and the minds behind BL liked it and accepted it. I'm also more excited than I should be to be somewhere in the coding of MUBI.

Greer Garson is one of my favorite actresses, and her career trajectory has always fascinated me. More than almost any other star (save the likes of Marilyn Monroe) she became trapped in a certain persona that she couldn't break from. This not only shaped her legacy, it also marked an important shift in the American conscience that's worth documenting. And thus the above essay was born.

If you actually take the time to read it, bless you. Either way just wanted to share.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Meredith, on your wonderful Greer Garson article. One of my favorite Greer Garson's films is, Goodbye Mr. Chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just finished the article, Meredith, and it was an excellent read. You bring up fascinating points on Garson's short but stratospheric appeal in the 1940s.

    I can't help thinking that part of the problem was the simple fact that Garson was about 45 when tastes changed and, by the Hollywood calendar, she had passed the deadline for any changes to her image.

    Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn-I love the scene where Greer is first introduced up on the mountain. She's so charming in it!

    Rachel-Thanks so much for reading! That is true that she was definitely getting up there (at least by Hollywood standards) though the funny thing to me is that she seemed to go the opposite of how it usually worked. For most women it would have been from ingenue to spinster, and for Greer it was mostly straight laced old world to bring em' on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your article! I found it really insightful, and what's more it piqued my curiosity about Greer Garson. I'm kind of loath to admit that I have only a passing aquantance with her and even less with her films. I've made a list of the titles that seem interesting to me and I'm definitely making a point of watching her films.

    Congrats, again, you're such a natural writer and your passion for your subjects is really infectious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! You should be really proud of yourself. Bright Lights is BIG TIME! You're going places, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to stop by and let you know that I have picked your article, for article of the week on Noir and Chick Flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Answer:
    Thank you for your lovely answers, Meredith :) Do you know what? I can't whistle either, even though I try all the time. It doesn't sound very good.

    Oh, and I love your blog. You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley-I'm so glad that you've decided to give Greer a chance! She was really a very interesting lady and a fascinating actress (the accent alone). And thank you for your kind words about the article. I really enjoyed writing it and am glad that showed

    Kendra- thanks again lady! When your book comes out there will be celebrations in the street ;)

    Dawn- ahh how exciting! Thanks so much for the spotlight, that's so kind of you. Wow.

    Pandora- hooray! :) everyone always thinks it is strange that I can't so glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just wanted to let you know I just tagged you for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great article, Meredith! You know what a huge Greer fan I am so it was a great read! I wish I could right as fluidly and intelligently as you ;D

    I also nominated you for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award - judging from the comment above, you are VERY irresistible and VERY sweet ;D

    ReplyDelete