Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Link Love #2 (Plus Liebster Awards and Additional Newsbits)

Awards

The wunderbar Marsha of A Person in the Dark has bestowed a Liebster upon Movie Montage. Liebster is supposedly German for "beloved," and it is now my turn to pass the torch along to several worthwhile blogs of my own choosing.


LA. La Land: Fame, Fortune, and Forensics: Aside from being a fellow Meredith this girl knows her stuff. Really. Her posts are deeper than the Mariana trench and a lot more fun to look through.
Film Studies For Free: Catherine Grant's page is an invaluable resource for film news, new journal publications, and listings of film essays and articles available online. It's overwhelming but in a good way.
Happy Thoughts, Darling: The word liebchen immediately brought MC's site to mind. Well written and a nice blog to sit down and drink a cup of tea with.
The Pneumatic Rolling-Sphere Carrier Delusion: To use his own words Joe describes his blog as "rambling observations on books, history, movies, transit, obsolete technology, baseball, and anything else that crosses my mind." Every time I click on his page it's the equivalent of stepping into an ephemera shop. Also fun for those who love all things San Francisco.
Who Can Turn The World Off With Her Smile?: Laura's blog is still new to me but I'm pretty assured in calling her the Eve Arden of the classic blogging world. Her page is a lot of fun to read and I feel like if I ever met her on the street she could toss back a one liner faster than Eleanor Powell could machine gun tap.

Posts

  • The Lady Eve's REEL LIFE was able to interview Edna May Wonacott, the child actress who played Ann Newton in Shadow of A Doubt. Read her great post about Edna here
  • The Millie truly has a unique way of expressing herself (I still think "stupendously deranged" is a word pairing of divine inspiration) so please enjoy Six Greatest Upbeat, Cheerful Bobby Darin Songs About Violent Death
  • The Movie Snob's latest Director's Spotlight on Francis Ford Coppola outlines why he's the gift that keeps on giving
  • I love Kate of Scathingly Brilliant's love of astronomy. You can read all of her 'star stuff' posts here

Also of Interest

  • While I imagine most of you have perused it by now TCM always does an incredible job with its graphics, and I encourage one and all to look through each and every page of their Summer Under the Stars website
  • Nancy Wake, WWII heroine dubbed the "White Mouse" by her Nazi enemies, has died at 98. Learn more about her amazing life (thanks for the link, Kendra)
  • Roger Ebert posted a link to the Sound on Sight article The "Gray Ones" Fade To Black yesterday, a piece about the lack of shared cultural knowledge many young people today seem to possess, and I've been contemplating whether or not to comment. While this is true I think that we all need to start speaking loud and clear 'We are here! We are here!' Dr. Seuss style because there's clearly a flourishing classic film community on the Internet with a lot of young energy behind it, and I think it's time people recognized our existence instead of using those darned kids with their Bieber fever as a well worn punching bag.

Just For Fun

  • A 'Did You Know' Fact. I haven't watched the television show The Munsters in many years, but only just found out that Grandmama, played by Blossom Rock, is Jeanette MacDonald's older sister. Who knew!

Also a note that this blog isn't going anywhere but the girl behind it is. In the next few days I'll be making the move clear across the country to Southern California, and will hopefully be able to stay forever and ever and ever. The area should prove an amazing resource for this blog, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, you! And thank you very, very much for the fine honor; however, instead of an Arden-esque quip, in real life expect giddy squeals as I go, "Geee-golly! Yer that one blog girl I really like! Heh heh! Guess we exist in real life, too, huh?!" I get excited around people I like.

    Again, glad to see you getting some well-deserved accolades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing on the Ebert link to "The Gray Ones Fade To Black" -- my thought as I was reading it was that the writer (teaching a film appreciation class) had either stumbled upon a perverse crop of students who had paid money to watch films despite no apparent interest in movies; or, more likely, he was one of those deadly dull teachers who could make even the most interesting subject seem boring.

    Not to mention that he was grossly over-generalizing -- not everybody over 40 is a film buff and not everyone under 30 thinks movies started with Transformers. Not by a long shot.

    But then I'm sure Adam and Eve sat around complaining that Cain and Abel didn't know squat about the Garden of Eden. It's an old, old story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! And Laura I would probably react the same way ;)

    Monkey (may I call you Monkey?) absolutely agree. I took many film studies classes in undergrad (it was my major, after all) and never encountered this problem. It was pretty standard for most of my classes to feature a progression in the screenings from older films to more recent crop (with some classes where the subject matter required ALL old films. gasp!) and the only time I ever remember there being grumblings was over The Philadelphia Story and honestly I have to agree that it's slow. Personal taste aside I don't understand critiques either way that mash all "old" or "new" film, whether it be black and white, color, or an international cinema, into one gigantic good or bad blob.

    ReplyDelete