Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bette Davis- a definition of a favorite actress

"Whatever I did, I did. My mistakes are mine. I, alone, am responsible."


Bette Davis [bet-te da-vis]
-noun
  1. Actress
  2. Organizer (See: Hollywood Canteen)
  3. Warner Brother's Scarlett O'Hara (See: Jezebel) 
-verb
  1. To have the stars
  2. To know one's enemies
  3. To be short in body but tall in spirit
-adjective
  1. "A great name for a secretary"*
  2. A bumpy night
Origin: 
1908-1989

Synonyms:
1. Determined 2. Commanding 3. Hard-working 4. Ethical 5. Theatrical

*Carl Laemmle's publicity men on wanting to change Davis' name for pictures (via "The Lonely Life" by Bette Davis, p. 125)

8 comments:

  1. Very true! You could fill in almost any blank with "Bette Davis" and everyone would know what you mean. Very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true! She was so many wonderful things it's hard to create just one definition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, love this post! Warner Bros. Scarlett O'Hara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the quote:

    "Whatever I did, I did. My mistakes are mine. I, alone, am responsible."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar to Katharine Hepburn's "Sure I have regrets. The stupid things you do you regret, and if you don't regret them maybe you're stupid."

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge BD fan. My money's on her over Crawford any day! I love the strength that comes from that great Yankee puritanism - Hepburn (Katharine) had it, too, but they manifested it in different ways. It's a shame Hepburn never got a chance to play Elizabeth; I know she always wanted to, but she got landed with Mary, whom she despised, instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on web as compared to books, as I found this article at this web page.

    My website ... workouts to Jump higher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that
    I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

    After all I will be subscribing on your feed
    and I am hoping you write again very soon!


    Feel free to visit my homepage: exercises for vertical jump

    ReplyDelete