Sunday, May 15, 2011

portrait of an art gallery

There were no Parent Trap style handshakes involved but I have nonetheless made a pact with Amanda of A Noodle in A Haystack to produce one wild card post a month. Not only is it a chance to flex muscles outside of filmdom, it has the added fun of not knowing what we may come up with. Feel free to pull up a chair and join us if you like. The more the merrier.


Art is generally prized for its form. What is discussed less, but can be just as important, is the space in which the artwork is exhibited. This is always taken into account, and sometimes plays an integral part in the conception. But rarely does a piece of art have a lasting impact on the experience of the gallery itself, and by extension all formal presentations of art. Which is why I'd like to discuss my experience viewing a collection of Damien Hirst portraits at the Wallace Collection two years ago in London. While a far cry from a personal favorite no one can deny his ability to stir and incite. I experienced no less in my only personal viewing of his work.

If compiling a list of controversial artists YBA Hirst is sure to be foremost among them. In the 90s he turned the art world on its head with his the physical impossibility of death in the mind of someone living, a showcase featuring a tiger shark preserved in formaldehyde. To his further discredit in some circles due to deterioration of the original piece of 'artwork' another shark was purchased as a replacement in 2006. Some have mused that Hirst himself should be embalmed and placed on display to see how he likes the practice.

While nowhere near as controversial, his exhibition No Love Lost, Blue Paintings (October 2009-January 2010) also welcomes similar critical engagement.



When viewed without context the works themselves are rather drab, to my eye. But as they say, location, location, location.



The Wallace Collection itself is a mansion frozen in time, each room decorated in such a way that it feels as though someone left the house 100 years ago, locked the door and not a thing has been touched since.

In this showy expanse the Damien Hirst exhibition highlighted the effects of decay you cannot see in painting. Entering the two rooms displaying his artwork felt cold and desolate, devoid of any antique furniture, pomp or circumstance. Patterns of skulls, shark jaws, lizards, and ashtrays replaced a monotony of opulence. The painting that most caught my eye was Floating Skull (2006) an eerie work dominated by a blue green glowing human cranium, with the rest of the frame a black void. My mind jumped to The Swing by Fragonard, on display in another room. With these paintings in mind her pinkish flesh begins to decay, the sumptuous clothes eaten by moths as all those before are made part of the earth. Hirst himself claims the exhibition was one "deeply connected with the past."

Portraits come to life with a price paid in sudden, gruesome understanding of their underlying decomposition both in matter and material. A passage of time that art defers, but can never really escape.


15 comments:

  1. brb, going to there. that rococo room looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes do! it's definitely a nifty place. have you been to the sir john soane museum yet? also an amazing space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just would like to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great info you have got right here on this
    post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.


    my blog post ... exercises for abs at home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web page on a regular basis, this website is really nice and the viewers are actually sharing fastidious thoughts.

    Visit my website :: pretty backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, amazing blog layout! How lengthy have you been running a blog for?
    you made blogging look easy. The full look of your website is
    great, as well as the content!

    My homepage: exercises to improve vertical

    ReplyDelete
  6. After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked on the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and
    from now on every time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog - workouts for vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this website before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's
    new to me. Nonetheless, I'm certainly delighted I came across it and I'll
    be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

    Feel free to visit my web blog; workouts to increase vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello colleagues, its wonderful paragraph about teachingand fully defined, keep it up all
    the time.

    Stop by my web site exercises to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's up, constantly i used to check website posts here early in the daylight, because i like to learn more and more.

    Stop by my web page; Exercises to increase Vertical Leap

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's in point of fact a great and useful piece of information. I'm happy that you shared this helpful info with
    us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.


    Here is my weblog :: exercises to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the finest blogs
    online. I'm going to recommend this web site!

    Review my blog - exercises to improve vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
    post was great. I don't know who you are but definitely you're going
    to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!


    Here is my blog; exercises to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Thank you!

    Here is my web site ... workouts for vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is
    awesome, great written and include approximately all vital infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .

    Feel free to visit my webpage workouts to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  15. My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post's to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?

    I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome web log!

    Also visit my weblog ... workouts to jump higher

    ReplyDelete