Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What Luise Rainier and Vivien Leigh have in common


A Happy 100th Birthday (wow!) to lovely Luise Rainier, who wowed Oscar voters with her ability to cry and talk on the telephone at the same time in The Great Ziegfeld. From the looks of her at The Aviator premier she is doing well and I wish her continued health and happiness. Because of course she's going to be reading this.

Actually it's best that she doesn't because I am now going to admit that I kind of creeped on her a month ago. Because what do she and Vivien Leigh have in common?

A residence! Of course they lived in this posh flat in Belgravia at different times, but Luise passes by Vivien's blue plaque every time she comes and goes making them neighbors in a way. It's rather like Enchantment.

5 comments:

  1. Crazy! All those Hollywood coincidences are so wacky.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. How fabulous. Your writing, and the fact they've a residence in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an apartment in the same block (not the same apartment) in which Emeric Pressburger lived. I think there's also a blue plaque for this too. The link? Pressburger had a hand in the screenplay of the German film Sehnsucht 202...Luise Rainer's first ever film, made in 1932.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig-Thanks so much for sharing! That is fascinating and I'm sad I didn't realize he lived so close by. Great fan of his work with Powell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUZZAH for this post! I ran into Louise's caretaker when I was there back in February last year. She didn't know much about Vivien though, which made me sad.

    ReplyDelete