Sunday, May 31, 2009

shot breakdown: my favorite scene from the searchers, directed by john ford

EXT. THE EDWARDS RANCH - SUNDOWN


AARON
Think I'll see if I can pick off a sage-hen or two, Martha. . .

MARTHA
You do that, Aaron. . .

AARON
Won't go far. . .

Photobucket

LUCY
My, the days are getting shorter-


MARTHA
(sharply) Lucy! . . . We don't need the lamp yet. . .


MARTHA
(easily) Let's enjoy the dusk a while.


BEN
(quietly) It's all right, ma. . .I been watchin'. . . Only I wish. . .

MARTHA
(quietly) What, Ben?

BEN
I wish Uncle Ethan was here. Don't you, ma?


LUCY
Mother, I can't see what I'm doing!. . .


MARTHA
NOT YET, LUCY!. . .

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

MARTHA
We're going to play the sleep-out game. . .Remember?. . .Where you hide out with grandma?

DEBBIE
Where's she buried?

MARTHA
And you'll go along the ditch -- very quietly -- like a. . .
(her voice breaks)

DEBBIE
Like a little mouse.

Photobucket

AARON
Hurry, Martha! Moon's fixin' to rise!

MARTHA
And you won't come back or make a sound. . .no matter what you hear? Promise!. .No matter what?

Photobucket

DEBBIE
I promise. . .Wait!

AARON
Child, child!

DEBBIE
Can't I have Topsy to keep me company?

AARON
There's no time. . .

Photobucket

MARTHA
Here she is, baby...

Photobucket

AARON
Down low -- run!

MARTHA
Baby!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

DEBBIE
No, Chris! Go back, Chris! Go back!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
FADE TO BLACK

John Ford-proving that a picture is worth a thousand words since 1956

4 comments:

  1. Did you take the screencaps yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Those pictures brought all of the terror rushing back.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. java bean rush-thank you, glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete